A vision for no regrets
It is fascinating to have the opportunity to work with leaders of companies that are focused on driving a culture of servant leadership. They truly care at the core about their people. I see practices that are very unique and unusual in mainstream Corporate America.
Enhancing people’s lives
One such practice is an organization that provides company time for employees to work on discerning their Personal Purpose, Vision and Values. When introducing this training to employees, the owner shares that he wants them to live a life of “No Regrets.”
• He wants them to think through what they want their life to stand for —Why they exist.
• He wants them to think about what they want to create and achieve in their life—Dreams.
• And he wants them to think about their core values and how they want to live their life—Behaviors.
What a gift! What a unique way to enhance your employee’s lives.
Employee’s personal benefits:
• Understanding of how much they are valued by the organization
• Leads to a purpose-driven, values-based life
• Enhanced passion in their work
• Enhances relationships with co-workers
• Creates accountability partners for achievement of goals
• High performance
• Enhances energy in the workplace as people feel valued
• Enhances relationships which leads to high performance
• Attracts more great people to want to join the organization
• Builds trust as people see the words of the organization’s purpose carried out in action
I could talk for days on the impact that this process has on people. I wish I would have thought earlier about these important aspects in my life. However it is never too late. The time is right now.
Not working for a company that creates this opportunity is no excuse for not taking the time to reflect and discern your personal purpose, vision, and values. If you haven’t already done so, I greatly encourage you to seriously consider it. I dedicate an entire section of my book Leading Jesus’ Way to helping people with this process.
Insure that you live a life of “No Regrets.” Get intentional about discerning these foundational aspects of your life. It will lead to true fulfillment in your personal and professional life.
Photo source: istock
Mark Deterding is the founder and principal of Triune Leadership Services, LLC. In 2011 he formed Triune Leadership Services to follow his passion of working with leaders to help them develop core servant leadership capabilities that allow them to lead at a higher level and enable them to achieve their God-given potential. He is married to his wife Kim, and they have two sons, two lovely daughter-in-laws, and three wonderful grandchildren.
This article was first published on triuneleadershipservices.com. Used with permission.
Learn More »