or wait 15 seconds
or wait 15 seconds
In Psalm 63 we read the testimony of King David, one of Israel’s greatest leaders who knew what it meant to be a follower of Jesus. He gets up in the morning thirsting for God. He eagerly seeks the touch of God who holds him close as his friend and beloved.
Throughout his day David faces competition for his affections, allegiance, energy and love. He is surrounded by office politics. His focus remains on the ultimate sovereignty and sufficiency of God who is always intimately within reach. Both fully present in this world while in sublime communion with God, David is practically unassailable from the evil and darkness that surrounds him.
When evening comes, David retires with a satisfied soul because he has seen God supply abundantly more than he expected throughout his day.
Here is a checklist that describes a leader after God’s own heart.
1. As a leader who earnestly and daily seeks God, you will experience a profound and sustained joy that will endure throughout all the opportunities and challenges of your workday. Your joy rests in the complete confidence that God will win the battle for you.
2. As one who wholeheartedly trusts God, you know that God will silence the mouths of liars in his time. You know that God will send those who seek your leadership role down to the depths of the earth. (Psalm 63:9-11).
3. As a leader who believes in God’s character you do not believe the delusion that you are working in a place of scarcity, parched and weary from a lack of water.
4. As one who earnestly thirsts for God, who longs for God with your whole being, you will find your soul at peace throughout the day. You will live a life of quiet confidence without fear when you believe Jesus’ promise: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27).
5. As a leader who desires to follow Jesus you don’t stand alone! Together with your brothers and sisters in Christ you behold God’s power and glory. You join with the multitudes who proclaim “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty!”
6. As one who embraces the love of Jesus, your life is filled with hope and there is no hint of fear in your spirit. God’s love is better than life, or anything your team will accomplish. God’s love is an unconditional love freely offered by God.
7. As a leader who has followed Jesus throughout your day, you can retire in the evening with a satisfied soul. You are at peace for you have experienced the joy of God’s faithful right hand—a hand of authority and power—upholding you.
Photo source: istock
James Bruyn is a bi-vocational visionary leader, writer and speaker who enjoys helping individuals integrate their faith in God with their daily life. James leads a ministry to Christians in the marketplace in Calgary, provides leadership coaching, and consults for the rail industry. James is passionate about connecting the rich promises of our loving Heavenly Father that we find in the Bible, with the joys and challenges of living out our faith in the workplace. James writes a weekly devotional at marketplace-ministry.ca/blog and also a devotional book, 31 Days with God at Work (Marketplace 2018).
Learn More »